Drug overdoses are now the leading cause of death for Americans under the age of 50, claiming more lives than the AIDS epidemic did at its peak. Opioid abuse accounts for two-thirds of these overdoses, with over 100 Americans dying from opioid overdoses every day.
Now Overcoming Opioid Addiction provides a comprehensive medical guide for opioid use disorder (OUD) sufferers, their loved ones, clinicians, and other professionals. Here is expertly presented, urgently needed information and guidance, including:
- Why treating OUD is unlike treating any other form of drug dependency
- The science that underlies addiction to opioids, and a clear analysis of why this epidemic has become so deadly
- The different stages and effective methods of treatment, including detoxification vs. maintenance medications, as well as behavioral therapies
- How to deal with relapses and how to thrive despite OUD
- Plus a chapter tailored to families with crucial, potentially life-saving information, such as how to select the best treatment program, manage medications, and reverse an overdose
Cosa ne pensano gli iscritti
- Amazon Customer
- 20 05 2018
Authoritative, compassionate guidance
This book provides much needed authoritative, compassionate guidance about opioid addiction, currently often referred to as opioid use disorder (OUD). Dr. Bisaga draws from decades of experience as an addiction psychiatrist. He combines the latest scientific knowledge with a detailed understanding of the behavioral aspects of this widespread medical and social issue. The information is presented in a comprehensive manner that avoids highly technical language, so it is accessible to a broad range of readers. The explanation that this illness is a chronic brain disease is presented in a convincing manner and the comparison to other chronic illnesses that require prolonged medical and behavioral support is emphasized. There are detailed sections of the book that will be of immense help to both family members of an affected loved one and to those who suffer from OUD. Medical and behavioral health providers would also benefit from the information provided as a supplement to their specific specialty training.
As a physician who treats patients with OUD, this book has already has already been highly recommended to many of my patients and their families as a valuable resource.
9 su 10 utenti hanno ritenuto utile questa recensione
- 19 06 2019
A must listen!
For parents whom family members are not responding well to clean up, get sober and stay out of trouble. This gives another tactic and possibly a more reasonable expectation of this maddening epidemic that’s touched multiple generations. Thank you
1 su 1 utenti hanno ritenuto utile questa recensione