A collection of the best thinking from one of the most innovative management consulting firms in the world...
For more than 40 years, The Boston Consulting Group has been shaping strategic thinking in business. The Boston Consulting Group on Strategy offers a broad and up-to-date selection of the firm's best ideas on strategy with fresh ideas, insights, and practical lessons for managers, executives, and entrepreneurs in every industry. Here's a sampling of the provocative thinking you'll find inside:
- "You have to be the scientist of your own life and be astonished four times: at what is, what always has been, what once was, and what could be."
- "The majority of products in most companies are cash traps . . . .[They] are not only worthless, but a perpetual drain on corporate resources."
- "Use more debt than your competition or get out of the business."
- "When information flows freely, reputation, more than reciprocity, becomes the basis for trust."
- "As a strategic weapon, time is the equivalent of money, productivity, quality, even innovation."
- "When brands become business systems, brand management becomes far too important to leave to the marketing department."
- "The winning organization of the future will look more like a collection of jazz ensembles than a symphony orchestra."
- "Most of our organizations today derive from a model whose original purpose was to control creativity."
- "Rather than being an obstacle, uncertainty is the very engine of transformation in a business, a continuous source of new opportunities."
- "IP assets lack clear property lines. Every bit of intellectual property you can own comes with connections to other valuable innovations."
Cosa ne pensano gli iscritti
- 14 04 2013
A Garage-Sale Find
Any additional comments?
This book feels like you found it at a garage sale - it shows it's age, but in terms of fundamentals, it's not necessarily BAD. I learned a ton from it and I think it's a valuable read, but very little updating went into it. The publishers have greatly exaggerated the few tweaks they've done. The bell-curve of selections peaks around the mid to late 80's - some from the 70's, some from the 90's, but very little from 2000 on. Many of the pieces comment on the contemporary business environment - the fundamental strategies they propose are sound, but make you wonder what you're missing by not reading something updated for the 2010's.
Also, please note: this is one of the most jargony and dense books I've listened to in a while. This was probably acceptable when the essays ("perspectives") were first circulated, but I think makes it a challenging listen today.
Overall, I recommend it, however.
9 su 12 utenti hanno ritenuto utile questa recensione
- 17 02 2015
Don't waste your time...
Ok.. But SERIOUSLY.. Please don't waste your time like I did. It's better to take your pick at one of the 3 McKinsey Consulting books on audible .. Or the one from Bain Capital / Consulting.
10 su 14 utenti hanno ritenuto utile questa recensione