Joe Bernardi's ex-wife Lydia is in big, big, trouble.
On a Sunday evening she gets a panic call from one time lover Tyler Banks to bring an envelope from his beach house safe to his office. When she arrives he is visibly frightened and orders her to leave but once outside the building, she hears a shot. She runs back inside and finds Tyler dead on the floor and the envelope missing.
She races from the office into the night, fearing for her life and unwilling to trust the cops. She goes into hiding even as the police instigate a city wide search for her. Even though Joe has found a new love in reporter Bunny Lesher, he feels he cannot abandon his former wife.
Convinced that she is innocent, he enlists the help of his pal, Lawyer Ray Giordano, and bail bondsman Mick Clausen, to prove Lydia's innocence, even as his assignment to publicize Jimmy Cagney's comeback movie for Warner Brothers threatens to take up all his time and Bunny's fear of losing Joe to his ex-wife endangers their relationship.
Who really killed Tyler Banks? Was it....
- Amanda Banks...the abused wife who had been cheated on one too many times
- Sean Flaherty...rich and powerful, his past may have included murder
- Stan Schick...a man with no conscience to whom murder comes easily
- Jake Pepper...he not only wanted the business, he wanted the wife as well
- Tom Hickey...an actor with a temper whose big break was snatched away
- Anthony Bracco...a cop whose daughter became Tyler Banks plaything
Or was it someone else?